Friday, September 14, 2007

Grandmas' Houses

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... It is so much fun to be responsible for making our parents into grandparents. The more daydreaming and visualizing I do about the future, the happier I feel about bringing a child into the world. Sure, there are bad people and evil out there in the world. I've even known a couple of people who list the state of our world among their reasons for not wanting children. But in my humble opinion, the crazy amount of love and hope and anticipation that each of our parents has for Baby Cute makes all of that negativity seem very insignificant.

When I talked to my parents last weekend, my Mom told me about their adventures in the attic, finding the family crib, high chair and bassinet carefully stowed away amidst the Christmas decorations and old toys. Thank goodness my Dad is an engineer; I don't know that he would have been able to figure out how to put together the crib again without his mad skills! My Mom has been collecting various sizes of diapers and thinking about how to set up their house for our future visits. It makes me feel so special, and so excited to bring Baby Cute to the home where I grew up.

Carolyn emailed David and I this morning to tell us that her friends threw her a surprise "Grandma Shower" last night! She has a fun (and just slightly unruly) group of ladies that call themselves "The Hens" that get together monthly for a meal and chat and some kind of activity. They've painted wine glasses and crocheted and tasted wine and traveled to Chicago. It's a cool group. Well, Carolyn might have mentioned once or twice that she is going to be a grandma (although I can't imagine her EVER talking about it...), so they showered her. Here's a blip from her email....
Last night the Hens surprised me with a "Grandma Shower". I was so tickled! They are all Grandmas so they got essential stuff that sometimes gets forgotten or you run out of. Various sizes of diapers, bibs, all kinds of bath and lotions, 8 or 9 books, toys, receiving blankets, baby tylenol, thermometer, sippy cups, booster chair/high chair, a whole box of scrapbook stuff for a boy, AND a pack & play (which I think is the exact one you have). What good friends. I can't wait to get it all organized & most of all used on that sweet little one.

So it sounds like there is some BBC nesting going on in Grandmas' world too.

I made David take pictures of me washing and folding all of Baby Cute's blankets last night. It was a sight to see! But then I forgot the memory card reader. Doh! So I'll post those later. But the good news is that blankies, socks, onesies, sleepers are all clean and put away and ready to go. Just his bedding and bibs and hanging clothes to go!

BBC is pretty squirmy and busy today. His baby booty is about 5 inches above my belly button and PROTRUDING out of my stomach this afternoon. He really liked the meeting I attended this morning to update the bigwigs on my communication plan... BBC wouldn't just be STILL, but insisted on wiggling around and hitting me in the hip bone. Maybe he was getting some of my adrenaline... I got kinda nervous sitting there with the heavy hitters. I feel really good and have come to really enjoy having my little guy with me all the time. I imagine it will feel odd to be truly "alone" again in another month or so...

I find myself mindlessly patting his baby booty pretty often these days. Part of my motivation is for him to get MY sense of rhythm, not his Daddy's lack thereof. And I figure if he's doing his BBC job by settling in head down and moving around enough to make doing my daily "kick counts" simple as pie, he should get patted on his booty so he knows what a good baby he is.

And although David was already walking on air about attending the MSU game tomorrow, my Dad called last night with two tickets to the Detroit Lions home opener on Sunday. My darling hubby about pulled out his hair last weekend trying to get Fox to come in on our rabbit ears... so needless to say, he's THRILLED about seeing this weekend's game in person.

And me? I'm looking forward to getting the hospital bag packed, playing with my friends at the baby store on Sunday and finding time to NAP if possible.

No comments: