Thursday, September 20, 2007

Boring is good...

My appointment yesterday was lickity split. No weight gain, blood pressure "a little high" but lower than last time I was in, no protein in my pee and baby's heartrate strong in the 140's. BBC and I celebrated our successful 37-week appointment with two cheeseburgers with extra pickles from Burger King and a KING size iced tea. Yes, the iced tea addiction continues. Frappucino and iced tea. I can't get enough.

I hate admitting that I need to slow down, but I need to slow down. It's becoming almost necessary for me to lay down for a while after work. I remember the fatigue of first trimester feeling so oppressive, but this is different. My bones are so achy and I feel extra puffy by mid-afternoon and I am SO ready to go home at 5pm. At our childbirth class, a woman asked if she should plan on taking any time off before her due date. The woman sitting next to me replied that she is going on leave 2 weeks before her due date. Huh? I'd much rather have time with BBC than time waiting for BBC. That's just me, but the doctor assured the woman who asked that many people work up until they deliver. That's my plan, too.

I did figure out how to get my holiday pay. The Family Medical Leave Act is so confusing, but luckily the helpful folks here in human resources have dealt with many preggo ladies who don't want to lose holidays that they've earned. For Thanksgiving, I forgot to add my sick and vacation accruals for September and November to my estimates, so I should be safely still on paid leave until Thanksgiving, which means I qualify for my pay. For Christmas and New Year's, basically, I need to work on my birthday, Friday, December 21. If I work that day and come back before 10 additional unpaid days pass, I'll get Christmas and New Year's pay. Hooray! Four days is a lot of time, dudes! And my birthday is pretty easy to miss anyway with it being so close to Christmas, so we'll just celebrate outside of the 8am-5pm timeframe.

My Mom is planning to bring my Grandmas to come and visit on Saturday. Just thinking about seeing them makes me smile. Dave and I both work tonight (my last weeknight at the baby store!) and Dave works tomorrow and Saturday at the bar. So I'll be glad to be distracted by my fabulous Grandmas and Mom for a while on Saturday. :)

My to-do list is staring at me, but I am past a couple of projects that were really holding me up. Now, as I tick things off the list, additional things aren't being added. It's so weird.

Here are my 37-week updates. Pretty freakin' exciting.

BabyCenter: Congratulations — your baby is full term! This means that if your baby arrives now, his lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though your due date is still three weeks away.Your baby weighs a little over 6 pounds and measures between 19 and 20 inches, head to heel. Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

BabyGaga: It’s the calm before the storm. Changes in your baby's weight have leveled off with only a few ounces of fat added this week. At this point your baby should weigh in at around 7 lbs and 20 inches (with boys somewhat heavier and longer than girls). Happily, as far as internal organs go, they are now developed enough to function in the outside world although the oh-so-important immune system is still developing and will continue to do so after birth. With a large boost of antibodies provided by breast milk when nursing begins. Fighting infection and staying healthy should be well within their physical capacity when your little fighter is born.

No comments: