Sunday, June 3, 2007

Introducing... Natalie the Nester

So it happened today. My nesting instinct came out. Many pregnant women tell funny stories about cleaning out closets and scrubbing bathroom floors with toothbrushes and organizing their teapot collections and whatever else the nesting spirit moves them to do during pregnancy. Well I couldn't just buy a few, random craving-induced groceries today. When I got them home I had to take everything out of the refrigerator and scrub it down. Only then was the fridge good enough for my random shopping booty--chocolate and white milk, lettuce, cream cheese, cucumbers, cottage cheese, lofthouse cookies, A&W rootbeer, tomatoes, nectarines, grapes, strawberries and green peppers. I do love Horrock's, our local farm market, and didn't even mind getting caught in a downpour when putting my few bags into the car.

I love rain. It makes me think of my friends and I going out to puddle jump the streets of Mt. Pleasant when we lived in the dorms. It makes me think of my farmer peeps and their reliance on the rain to grow their crops. It makes me think of my wedding day, dashing into the church to not ruin my bridal hairdo and coming up the stairs to walk down the aisle just a couple of hours later and seeing the beautiful, dewy sunshiny day that June 12, 2004 turned out to be. It is a calming, beautiful sound.

David is safely on his way to Minneapolis. I'll say it--I miss him already. It's a good thing I'm pregnant. I don't feel weird talking to myself because, well, the baby is listening. So we are thinking positive thoughts, enjoying the soft pitter patter of rain on our rooftop and enjoying the thought of a lofthouse cookie with milk after the computer sets us free. There is a massive bouquet of peonies on my dining room table that are staring at me in all of their "I'm a flower but I look like a party dress" glory, and Runa is purring on the floor next to me.

See? Baby Cute and I will be fine by ourselves until Friday. I keep telling myself that my sister Meredith does this ALL the time, and my Dad goes to Mexico on a pretty regular basis so my Mom does too. I am surrounded by very caring neighbors, so I know if I really needed something I could just go knock on Margaret's door. Heck, I could yell out my side window into her kitchen! See? I'm fine. It's just a matter of telling myself that every so often. :)

It was a lovely weekend. I got to see my grandmas, pet my dog Bella, shop at Value City with my Mom and sister, eat dippy eggs (that's over-easy to the rest of the world) made by my Mom, sleep in a cooooold basement, take two very scenic country drives to get to and from Saginaw, clean my house, do my laundry and surf the internet randomly for a while.

I have to admit, though, that the thought of rocking Baby Cute in my glider and telling her/him all about the rain and how proud I am of Daddy Cute makes me both teary and excited. Time is flying, but right now, in my quiet house with the rain coming down, it feels like it is standing still.

3 comments:

BoxcatAV said...

Horrock's is simply grand! I'm so glad we have one here too. I indulged in the chocolate covered pretzels from there last night.

AlexisAnne said...

we call them dippy eggs too! mmmmmmmm
if you cut the hole out of the middle of the bread and put the egg there to cook it, it's even better. the bread is right there for dippin. I think I know I'm having for lunch today!

Unknown said...

Gotta love that nesting! My house would never have been clean without it. ;)

Too bad it wears off - I could use a good nesting instinct right now, our house and yard are a pit!

Finally getting caught up on Baby Cute's adventures today. Thanks for sharing!

Love you,
Cat

P.S. I could use a good puddle-jump myself...