Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Blueberry Boy.

It's nice to know that my squirmy baby is a boy. I'll say it, I wanted a girl. I still do, but not right now. I want Baby Boy Cute Scott right now. Baby Girl Cute Scott will be an excellent little sister some day, but not in the immediate future. Dave was kind enough to let me cry (just a little) about not buying lavender blankets and not having a girl to take to my girl scout meetings last night, but it was short-lived. As my Mom said... OhBoyOhBoyOhBoy!

Everyone is so excited for Baby Cute; it's really flattering and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Lots of questions about his name, so the official answer is this--We aren't naming him until we meet him. There are lots of names that we like, and we know his middle name will be Milton, but I want to see his little face before we give him one of his most defining characteristics. When we have a good set of final names, I'll put up a poll or something fun. :)

I think yesterday was pretty tough on Baby Cute with all of the poking and prodding of his warm little womb. He's been very quiet today with only minor squirming around after I finished off some delicious, Michigan-grown blueberries.

It was really special to spend quality time with him and learn so much about his anatomy. Our local Lansing Community College trains sonographers and the two students who scanned us are still learning quite a bit. This was great for us, as the instructor pointed out lots and lots of nuances about Baby Cute. We know so much!
  • Baby Cute weighs 2.3 pounds.
  • The placenta is against the back part of my uterus and away from my cervix--this is good.
  • Our cord insertion is perfect.
  • Baby Cute doesn't have spina bifida or some other kind of spinal growth thingee.
  • He has ten fingers and ten toes.
  • Baby Cute likes to cross his legs at the ankle and he waves his little hands in front of his face now and again (SO cute!).
  • We get lots of comments about his 'nice, four-chamber heart.'
  • His little baby butt is up on the right side of my belly button and his head is down in my pelvis. Good to know he is head-butting my bladder.
  • There was a little bit of urine in Baby Cute's bladder, which he will pee out and swallow again. Ewww.
  • He was more than happy to show the nice ladies his femur multiple times.

I have a whole new respect for ultrasound techs. We went from a VERY inexperienced woman (she poked rather than glided the wand thingee and used too much gel) to a pretty experienced woman (much smoother gliding, but jerkier movements that lost what she was trying to see) to the instructor (confident, smooth and comfortable). Fascinating! They kept thanking us and we kept thanking them--it was a mutual admiration society evening.

Dave didn't ask me what I wanted for dinner (perhaps I was too busy texting and calling everyone in my phone book), so when we ended up at Champps, a sports bar, to watch the All-Star baseball game it struck me... Dave's little buddy is on his way.

Twenty-seven weeks today, folks. 91 days to go.

BabyCenter: This week your baby weighs almost 2 pounds and is about 14.4 inches long with his legs extended. He can now open and close his eyes, and he sleeps and wakes at regular intervals. He may suck his fingers, and although his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with assistance — if he were to be born prematurely. Chalk up any rhythmic movement you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and isn't bothersome to him, so enjoy the tickle. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. Wonder what he's thinking?

BabyGaga: Your not-so-tiny-anymore brilliant baby(about 2 pounds and 14.5 inches long!) is slowly rotating in preparation to “head out.” Obviously, this doesn’t happen overnight, but when you start to feel an unfamiliar pressure on your cervix, you’ll know you’ve got a fully flipped baby locked and loaded for the countdown to their birthday! Even now, at the beginning of the third trimester, their little lungs are already capable of breathing air while the pulmonary vascular system can provide sufficient gas exchange and the central nervous system can generally regulate rhythmic breathing as well as their basal body temperature. For what it’s worth, at this point in a healthy pregnancy a premature child (with intensive care) could easily win on the show: “Survivor: The Early Years.”

And finally, a nod to the random crying. I couldn't even sing along with my CD this morning on the way to work... All of the lyrics to my favorite "Fidgemix" from my friend Sara made me think of my impending status as a Mommy.

1 comment:

BoxcatAV said...

I am very glad he has four chambers in his heart. Adding a forth is tricky.