Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Got calcium?


So I work often with dairy farmers, dairy researchers, dairy Extension agents, etc. I am even responsible for the Michigan Dairy Ambassador youth program. Dairy peeps are good peeps, I like 'em. Lately, I like them even more thanks to Baby Cute's love of dairy products.

My Mom used to tell me that she knew she was pregnant when she started craving milk. I have very few, if any, memories of my Mom drinking milk. Setting the table as a kid, I only got 5 glasses out because my Mom never had anything to drink with dinner. So when she finally did crave milk, she was pretty sure there was another little Ebig growing inside.

Well, I already know Baby Cute is growing inside of me. I can feel it (again, it's the weirdest and coolest thing I've ever felt) and we have a pic of our little alien. Until this week, I wanted nothing to do with milk. I could do the occassional cheese or yogurt, but ugh--milk made me nauseous. Now, I want milk. I want to drink large glasses of ice cold milk. Instead of juice in the morning, I've been filling up my coffee mug with milk. Baby Cute wanted a McDonald's hashbrown for breakfast this morning and they have these delicious little bottles of milk! I already had my mug full of milk, but I got the little one anyway and just enjoyed it with an afternoon cookie.


My theory is that Baby Cute is growing bones this week. I should be able to feel the flutters (can you tell I'm excited about this... I think I've mentioned it almost every post) in another few weeks, so Baby Cute is just getting stronger bones to kick and punch me with. I am ok with this.

I am also reviewing research proposals for the animal initiative half of my job. There are several dairy-related proposals. I hope at the meeting on Friday my bias toward the dairy industry does not show. I will refrain from wearing my "When I grow up I want to be a dairy farmer" T-shirt.

2 comments:

CorgiLand said...

i hate milk as well. i love yogurt and cheese but milk is nasty.
thanks for the info though, i'll use it in the future.

freerange karma said...

Glad that's not entirely genetic, as I like milk all the time. If it were just an indicator of pregnancy, I'd be screwed!