Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Nanawannabe

So for those of you who haven't had the immense pleasure of meeting my mother-in-law, Carolyn, you are really missing out. I met David in January 2000, he moved back to Central Lake in February 2000 and I went to visit him there that spring. So, still a new relationship, but we had fallen for each other quickly.

I remember Carolyn meeting me at the door of her home, hugging me and making me feel immediately welcome. I remember loving their dog, Rufus, even though he stole my socks and underwear to carry around the house. I remember Carolyn's amazing cooking and being pleased at how many books they had throughout their home. Carolyn and her husband Dave (not to be confused with MY husband, David) have always been wonderful parents to me. Coming from a family of six, being the "one and only kiddos" was a whole new world, and one that makes our families different, while still refreshingly similar in values and affection.

So, one of the first people we told about Baby Cute was Carolyn. While it has calmed down (or she has hidden it very well) over our seven years of acquaintance, Carolyn has baby fever. Specifically, grandbaby fever. I remember shaking my head and realizing that she was already visualizing grandchildren when I was just starting to think about myself in a big white dress.

When the stick finally showed the line Carolyn has been waiting for, she was one of the first people I thought of. David told her while he was there, with me anxiously listening on the other end of the phone. David has compared her reaction to many things, including a jumping bean, a bouncy ball and Winnie-the-Pooh's friend Tigger.

So in honor of Carolyn, I will tell one of my favorite Carolyn stories as of late.

Carolyn's cousin Susie has two kids, one of whom, Ron, is a partner in the family business of funeral homes and lives down the street and around the corner from Carolyn (above the funeral home, actually). Ron has a fabulous wife, Holly, who I have loved since the moment I met her, and three kids--Janie, Isaac and Gavin. I have a special fondness for Gavin because he was born JUST as David and I were falling in love. It has been fun to measure the "age" of our relationship by Gavin-years. Gavin also happens to be an amazing kid. He loves frogs, is afraid of nothing and has just enough charm and good looks to keep him out of all of the trouble he finds himself in.

Carolyn loves Susie's grandkids, and has been known to have Janie over to bake pies, Gavin over to hunt for frogs in their pond and all three over whenever there may be dessert involved.

So, this is the story as I remember hearing it, sorry if the details are messed up Carolyn--One of Gavin's unknowing friends asked him one day who the heck Carolyn was. She's around all the time, but apparently this kid had missed Carolyn's very important role. The second friend simply replied--"Oh her, she's Gavin's Nana-Wanna-Be."

I LOVE that story, and had forgotten it until Carolyn signed off her email today:

Love, MomCarolyn (who has graduated from a Nana-wanna-be to a Grandma-soon-to-be, thanks to you two)

It touched my heart and made me realize just how important Baby Cute is to so many people that we love.

Ah, love. Ain't it grand?


Come to find out...I have very few pics of Carolyn. Here she is (far left) along with her siblings Patti, Chuck and Dianne and Grandma Irene at the 2005 family reunion.

No comments: