Monday, March 19, 2007

Getting pumped.

So to make a long, long story short, Dave and I spent most of Saturday evening and Sunday morning in the emergency room. I'm fine, as is Baby Cute, but we had a rough 24 hours.

I woke up feeling fine on Saturday and we enjoyed the Lansing Home & Garden Show until early afternoon, when we went home to nap and chill like slugs for the rest of the day. I slept for a couple of hours, then moved to the couch, where I felt progressively worse. I eventually sent Dave out for Pepcid and Unisom/Vitamin B6, both on the safe list given to us by my OB. So I took both and proceeded to throw up. Every hour. For 6 hours. Around 10 p.m. I finally called my Mom and asked for her advice. She thought a trip to the ER wasn't a bad idea, so I called Dave who rushed home from work and we checked into Sparrow around 10:30 p.m.

Again, long story short, we left about 6:30 a.m. after waiting until around 4 a.m. to get into a "curtain" and see a very nice resident. She took one look at my dry, parched tongue and said "oh yeah, you need some fluids." I had a small breakfast and really nothing since that at 9:30 a.m., so yeah, I was a TAD dehydrated. So TWO BAGS of IV fluids indeed went in, along with an anti-nausea medication called "Reglan" that I need to remember the name of. Why? Well, because I have a reaction to Reglan that makes me want to pull out the IV and run the heck away from the hospital. Dave just thought it was me, but it's apparently a common side effect.

Dave showed off his amazing sleeping skills by balancing himself between two plastic chairs and snoozing on and off. I managed to get comfortable enough on the hospital "cot-thingee" to snooze through one bag of fluids and patiently stare at the second one, realizing that I was feeling better and better with each passing moment. We got discharged and slept well into Sunday afternoon.

The highlights of the evening/morning include:
1. Getting an ultrasound!!! Baby Cute is just fine, ladies and gentlemen! We have a heartbeat and a well-developed gestational sac. Our resident is getting certified in ultrasound monitoring, so she asked if she could "practice." Absolutely! It was fun, and really made all of the waiting worth it. We even got a couple of fuzzy pictures! :)
2. Seeing a local pizza delivery dude who had been jumped by a group of punks after delivering pizza to a student-laden apartment complex. At one point he said to his friend, "Well, I hope they catch those jerks so I can tell the kid who hit me that he hits like a girl."
3. Not one, nor two, but THREE young blonde girls carried in along with their entourage of drunken friends. All three incoherent, trying to convince their friends to let them walk back to the dorms and put them to bed. Ugh.
4. Multiple visits by the Lansing Police for "blood draws." Who doesn't love St. Patrick's Day?

My Mom is the best and made it a point to come and visit on Sunday afternoon just because she needed to see for herself that I was ok. She had also exercised her amazing shopping skills AND remembered that we returned my birthday present so she brought me a NEW one! In pink paper! She discovered the Motherhood Maternity outlet at Birch Run and purchased a fabulous array of clothes including a GORGEOUS black and white polka dot dress that screams "Throw me a Baby Shower, I'm the cutest pregnant fat lady ever!" It was a wonderful surprise and fun to see her, my Dad and Baby Bella Puppy 2-1-2 who terrorized Runa.

I am ok, a little weak, still not eating a ton, but I am drinking my fair share of fluids. I slept well last night and I made it into work ok today, but I may head home and take my work with me--I'm pretty light-headed.

1 comment:

CorgiLand said...

so very glad you are safe and sound.
maybe baby cute would like an electrolyte replacement drink (aka pedialyte... i'm not sure if they have an adult version or not). but with all this emesising going on you may think about that or some cheap replacement like poweraide.
yes, reglan has lots o' funky side effects-becoming crazy is one of them!
keep healthy i need to pinch baby cheeks!