Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My baby the bean.

I am so happy this morning. We saw Dr. Johnson and my favorite nurse Patti and they are thrilled for us, too. I peed in a cup and they confirmed what we already knew. In addition, we are destined to be very smart parents as we had our due date right on--October 4.

It is fun to think about all of the family birthdays that are right around that same time... My sister Meredith, our stepdad Dave, Grandma Scott, my brother Nathan and brother-in-law Rob. I think Baby Cute Scott is going to look adorable in fall colors--ghoul or booo--ey.

It is so odd to think about traveling with Baby Cute Scott for Christmas next year. It seems so far away, but so close too.

My Moms are wonderful and aren't holding back their excitement, which is wonderful and reallllly helps with delaying telling others for a while. I won't be able to hold back much longer, but I am planning on waiting until we hear Baby Scott's heartbeat to make any plans here at work. Only my three favorite people here know.

My sister Meredith called yesterday and we talked for quite a while. I almost busted, but thank goodness I was at work and didn't want to talk about it here. I am so excited for my siblings to be aunts and uncles.

I'm having trouble deciding how to document my pregnancy on paper. The blog is great, but we don't have internet at home, and I want something to tuck all of my cards, notes, invites, etc. from this time into. We went to the bookstore yesterday, but the journal I liked most had TONS of pictures of skinny pregnant girls throughout. Sorry, Charlie, that's the wrong book for me. We bought a plain journal and I think that will do. Now if only I wasn't so tired during the evening I would start to write!

The Baby is about the size of a lentil bean and has little flippers. This is funny to me. Here is my 6-week update from Baby Center:

Is your heart swelling with love for your baby? Well, yours isn't the only heart that's getting bigger. Your baby's heart is growing, too, and dividing into the right and left chambers. But the most exciting part is that her tiny heart is now beating (at a speedy 100 to 130 beats a minute) and pumping blood throughout her body. The cells that will make up all of your baby's body parts and systems are dividing furiously as her body begins to take shape. Right now she's about the size of a small lentil bean (4 to 5 millimeters across).

If you could see through your uterine wall, you'd find an overlarge head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils will be. Shallow pits on the sides of her head mark her developing ears, and her arms and legs appear as protruding buds. Her hands and feet look like paddles, with thick webbing between the developing digits, but her fingers and toes will soon become more distinct. Below the opening that will later be your baby's mouth, there are small folds where her neck and lower jaw will eventually develop. (Inside, her tongue and vocal cords are just beginning to form.) Your baby's intestines are developing, and tiny breathing passages are beginning to appear where her lungs will be. She's also starting to build muscle fibers and, halfway through this week, she'll likely start moving her tiny limbs. Be patient: You'll probably have to wait until you're several weeks into your second trimester before you get to enjoy feeling your baby's calisthenics.

No comments: