Monday, October 15, 2007

One Week.

Here we are! Elliott Milton is one week old today (the computer froze last night before I could hit "post"... sorry!) and I think I am finally feeling like myself again. There are lots and lots of words to write about the incredible emotional roller coaster the last week has been, but I know ya'll are much more interested in pictures.




I will say just a few things... I put on my pre-pregnancy jeans this morning and they FIT. And my Mom is the most amazing woman I have ever met in my entire life. She left today and while I know that we will be fine, I cried anyway. I seriously don't know how I would have made it through the last week without her. I knew my husband was going to be a great dad, but he is awesome. I feel like I have a superpower now that Elliott and I are breastfeeding successfully. Ladies and gentlemen, I make MILK. Whoa. I miss my sister Melanie terribly and a road trip to Connecticut is looking more and more like a great idea. My sister Meredith was here all weekend and I hope I haven't scared her away from motherhood permanently. Mary Frog Toes visited twice and it was SO good to see her. David's friends Petey and Corbie came by yesterday and brought DINNER--a mark of people who have done this crazy "new baby in the house" thing before. I love fall and I love cuddling my baby boy in a blanket and taking him for a walk in my neighborhood with crunchy leaves underfoot. Instincts are way more important than all of the reading I have done.... And all of those cliches about motherhood and loving something more than you ever thought possible. All true. I love Dave, I love my family, I am passionate about many things, but my son Elliott Milton is absolutely the most important thing I have done in my entire life.



Ok, now pictures. :)




We had this amazing resident who took pictures throughout the C-section. Although I was having contractions when we checked into the hospital, Elliott was definitely not coming out naturally. He was so high up in my abdomen that they had to use a vacuum to move him down so they could nab him out. He came out peeing a ton. The C-section was scary, but a week later I am really glad that things worked out this way. Other than an achy incision site, I am feeling like myself. Although Monday-Wednesday are pretty much a blur for me.


He still looks at us with just one eye when he is sleepy or just waking up. It's super cute.

We had this amazing nurse named Molly at the hospital that helped us console our inconsolable baby by swaddling and side-swaying. Tactics from the book "Happiest Baby on the Block." Since my milk came in, we have ditched the pacifier and have a whole new baby. I call him Elliott 2.0.

Elliott HAS to have his hands in his face. SO cute.


Mary Frog Toes was the first one to realize the three of us hadn't had our picture taken together! Thanks FT!

I'll post more pictures later... Promise!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the happy tears at work, Natalie. Seeing you guys as parents is just about the coolest thing ever. What a wonderful new person we have in the world.

And thank goodness you don't make beer, otherwise things could get awkward at tailgating. ;)

Enjoy and take care. We'll be by as soon as our social calendar lets up a bit. Please give a hug to Daddy Big Duck for me!

Unknown said...

for something that is very hard to put into words, you did a great job! =) Love him!

BoxcatAV said...

So excited to read this post. Can't wait for more as time allows.
I'm so happy for you guys. Can't believe you're a momma!

freerange karma said...

*sends Baby Elliott loving vibes across the miles*

AlexisAnne said...

Great pictures and great post. I've been wondering how things are going for you guys adjusting to it all. The next few months will be a blur-prepare yourself now! thank goodness for hubbies and family to help! wish I could send a caserole thru UPS...but it would probably be pretty nasty by the time it got there!