Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mommy and Daddy Rock.

Dave is doing an outstanding job of taking care of Elliott, me and our household. He does not hesitate to get up in the morning with me, make me coffee, take me to work if he needs the car, have lunch ready when I come home to feed Elliott, do our laundry, keep the house picked up, etc. And I know how much Elliott loves his Daddy and playing with him all day long. The two of them are so bonded, it is amazing to watch and be a part of.

I remember my only pregnancy dream was of following Dave and a little boy down the sidewalk in front of our house and seeing Dave take the little boy's hand and call him his little buddy. It looks like dreams do come true.

I don't think I tell Dave often enough how much I appreciate him, but I really do.

This thought was brought on because I had my annual evaluation at work today. It made me realize that stay at home parents don't get "evaluations," but they also don't get consistent feedback and praise either. In my opinion, Dave would pass his Daddy evaluation with flying colors.

My evaluation went extraordinarily well. The plant peeps are excited to get me full time, the animal peeps are sad to lose me, and they both think I did a great job this year. No complaints. Really no negative feedback or even constructive criticism, just enthusiasm for seeing more of my work in action this year.

The head of the plant side of things made the comment that if you didn't know I was gone for three months this year, you could never tell from the amount of work I completed and my performance throughout the year. That meant a lot to me.

And while it is nice to feel like a rockstar, I can't help but think of a few important things:
--Being a non-traditional family is a good thing. It works for us and that's what's important.
--I would not be where I am today without the love and support of my soulmate, David.
--I would not be where I am today without the love and support of my family.
--I would not be looking at the raise and promotion coming down the pike without the help of my sister Meredith and my Dad, the ever-cheerleader.
--It is increasingly important that I bust ass at work so I can leave on time and go home to my baby and my husband. Elliott won't be a baby for long, but I will always work.
--I crave new challenges and like to take on big projects. I need to work hard to embrace the challenges once they are thrown my way and follow through on projects.
--It is very important that I keep up my momentum and continue to blaze new trails here. A few weeks ago I would have said I needed to do less of that, but my evaluation proved that the people that matter appreciate my frank honesty and ability to shake things up.

My Grandma Ebig is in the hospital. Please pray for her. I am anxiously waiting for news on her latest procedure, a defibrilator placement. I can't talk about it more because it makes me too emotional. She is 80 years old this year and about to be a great grandma again. My cousin Jason and his lovely wife Lindsay are expecting the first official EBIG grandbaby (meaning he/she will have the last name of Ebig).

Today, Dave was kind enough to bring Elliott to me for his lunch and go and get lunch for the two of us. What a guy! Anyway, the funny part of that story is that Elliott selected the 45 minutes he was at my office to FINALLY poop after about 3 days of poop-free diapers (Lots of farts, no poops). Thankfully he did not blow out of his diaper (and they were even the cheaper, baby store brand), but we did have to change him on my desk before Dave left. Three days worth was pretty overwhelming. And Elliott drooled all over my clothes. Like he knew I had my evaluation today and didn't need baby drool marks on my shoulders!

We've been kicking around whether or not to buy a new (to us) car now or later. It's looking more and more like now. My car continues to run, but is more and more quirky. And frankly, I love the early spring days of rolling down the car windows and breathing in the fresh, dewy air. We've been without a functioning driver side window for a LONG time now. I've about had it.

Ok, I'm done for now. Here are some Elliott videos. He is growing up so fast.

Getting the Bears in His Pack and Play

A Crowd Favorite... Jumperoo Time!

In the Swing of Things

My Favorite Things... Toys and Dropping Them

My Favorite Things Part Deuce

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how much he's learning to use his hands! And thanks for the close up of Turtleman and Wiggleworm in the last video... I found myself laughing all by myself in my office :)

<3 Aunty Meredith

freerange karma said...

Him learning to toss things off his funny now but I'm sure it'll be irritating once he has more fine motor control. ;)

mrns said...

congrats on the awesome evals...both of you :)

Nadia, Mike, Jaydan, and Sophia said...

Love the videos! The jumping is my favorite! EFB diapers rock! Everyone convinced me to try them and I am not sorry at all! Congrats on your evaluation and congrats to Dave on his. Since I was a SAHP I can tell you it really is appreciated!

BoxcatAV said...

Thumbs up on the good work evaluation. Much deserved.

Kudos for recognizing Dave. You two are an amazing couple, and are becoming even more amazing parents!

geekmp3 said...

Way to go with the closeup of DH-Turtleman! Now we ALL know how he got his second nickname...