Sunday, January 6, 2008

Time Flies.


Oh, where to begin?... There isn't a good place, so I'll just start with right now.


Elliott is doing amazingly well. He is a smiley, happy guy who loves to play and eat and stand up and wiggle and squirm and sleep on his daddy. I can't believe he will be three months old on Tuesday. I also can't believe it's already time for me to go back to work. Sure, I've been in a few times, but now that I HAVE to go back, it isn't nearly as fun. I will be able to work half time for a week or two, which is a decision I'm glad I made way back in preggo land.

A great practice for me was going back to work at Babies R Us on Sunday. I'm only going to work 4 hours every other Sunday, but I just don't want to quit. I love working there. I love helping expectant parents. I love so many of my co-workers. I don't know how I'll feel about it when I'm back up to 40 hours at MSU too, but Sunday felt really good.

I knew it would be hard to return to work, but it has to happen sometime. I know I wouldn't be happy as a stay at home parent. I trust Dave to take amazing care of Elliott. I have lots of friends whose children love daycare and leaving work every day is a reward for a job well done during the day. I think this is a time when it's all about attitude. Am I sad? Absolutely. Will I miss Elliott? Immeasurably. But do people do this everyday? Yes. Can I do it too? I can and I will.

Ok, enough self empowerment. If you didn't already know this, my baby is freaking adorable.


We had wonderful holidays. Hectic, but wonderful. Elliott did really well considering he traversed the greater state of Michigan for a more than a week. He had a minor meltdown one night in Saginaw where I think he had had enough of being passed around and held and just needed his Mommy. Heck, sometimes I just need my Mommy too, so he is certainly entitled. He is definitely over that whole "I'm crying but I have no idea why" thing, which also makes him a much more enjoyable houseguest.



This is one of my favorite Christmas decorations, and I think it will be funny to compare how big Elliott is to Santa next year...


Dave got a bike, a PlayStation and a shirt that says "ME" which we didn't understand until he pulled out a onesie for Elliott that is embroidered with "MINI-ME." We about died. I got a bike, fabulous rasberry luggage, new silverware, new shoes, a Lane Bryant giftcard that I immediately spent on new underwear, so much more. Dave's Dad and Pam got us a delicious box of Omaha Steaks. Mmmm. Elliott got a seat to ride on the back of my new bike, a ride-on dinosaur, wonderful, treasured books (my best friend Mary Frog Toes would call them 'literature'), a TON of clothes, baby sunglasses, two pairs of shoes (those were perhaps more for me than him, I love baby shoes), a case of diapers, a case of wipes, and a few very cool toys.


Remember, you can't spoil a baby... And let me send a shout out to Carolyn who wrapped Elliott's gifts from Santa Claus. It just didn't feel right wrapping gifts I would have to unwrap later... Carolyn saves the day again!


Even after two years at the baby store, I didn't know they made baby sunglasses. ADORABLE!


One of the best gifts I received this Christmas, though, was being able to introduce Elliott to my sister Melanie. We've been missing her so, so much and neither of us are very good on the phone, so getting to catch up in person and watch Elliott bond with her so quickly was one of my favorite memories.

Is it sad that Elliott has no pants on because I knew he was working on a big poop and I didn't want him to get it on his pants? He was wearing one of my favorite outfits...

"Dearest Auntie Melanie, can you show me how to get my hands into my mouth?"


My birthday was the 21st (I'm 27 now, woo hoo) and my wonderful parents in-law, Dave and Carolyn, were so kind to come early enough for Dave and I to go out for a delicious, grown-up dinner. There was wine, there was cheese fondue, there was smoked turkey and steak, there was adult conversation and there were no interruptions. It was wonderful! My gift continues in February when Dave and Carolyn have agreed to watch the little guy again while David and I go wine tasting on the Leelanau Peninsula. I am very excited!



Dave, Martha Stewart called. She wants to hire you as a cake decorator... Just kidding, I love you. And thank you for making time to make me a birthday cake complete with pink writing.

My amazing husband also "helped" Elliott pick out a card. The front was a picture of a baby sucking on a pacifier. Inside it said, "Mom, without you, life would really suck." It was cute, but what made me cry (see above) is that Dave traced Elliott's hand into the card and dated it. It was so thoughtful, and it is also hilarious to note that the trace was a little uneven. Our little guy still HATES to have his hands restrained or messed with in any way.

So every mother thinks their baby is the cutest and smartest baby ever, and I am no exception. Elliott is growing so much every day and continues to amaze Dave and I with how much he is learning. His new tricks include: sleeping 9 hours occasionally; clasping his hands together; putting anything and everything into his mouth; drooling; complaining and whining about being hungry, not flat out wailing as soon as he realizes he is hungry; new consonant sounds like ooooh, aaaaah, coooo; sitting up with very little assistance; playing in his swing or bouncer or Bumbo with his toys for 30-60 minutes at a time; splashing in the bathtub; sucking on his hand; tracking his hand with his eyes and bringing it to his mouth; grabbing toys from his playgym and hanging onto them for dear life; batting at toys; being distracted from crying with toys or talking; kicking his new crib gym to make it light up; wearing 6/9 month clothes; holding himself up on his hands; scooching across the floor if you put your hands behind his feet; wiggling his way to one end of his crib through the night; doing his darndest to roll over, but getting stuck by his big noggin; launching himself off of the Boppy pillow when he is on his tummy (Dave calls it vaulting); refusing to burp between the right and left boob; grabbing hair, clothes, burp clothes, etc.; and much more that I'm forgetting.



"I love my Bumbo seat now!" Thanks Cat and Mack!


Turtleman is one of Elliott's favorite toys. My sister made the frightening observation that Turtleman's snorkel looks, well.... Anyway, my Dad started calling him Dickhead if that helps paint the picture for you. I think Elliott finally noticed Turtleman's growth. He still loves him best though, so I'm not taking him away because of his Auntie Melanie's dirty mind.

Dave and I are also doing well. We are both nervous about the big, upcoming change in our routine, but we are relying on each other for support and trying to communicate as much as possible. This won't be easy, but if it was then everyone would do it, right?



Elliott and I also took a fun weekend trip to see Aunt Meredith and Uncle Jerry in Chicago. Other than toll booths, stop and go traffic and any other time when the car stopped moving, Elliott was a great traveler for me. I also discovered that people are decent and good and will hold the door for you when you're carrying a huge diaper bag and a baby in an infant carrier. I also discovered that Macy's in Chicago has a lovely "sitting area" in their third floor women's room that is a great place to feed a baby.

The bathroom is pink, but Elliott didn't mind. A funny story about our meal in the bathroom. There was already a woman nursing her baby when we entered, making me even more comfortable. When the woman's mother referred to the baby as Elliott we started chatting. Turns out that baby is Elliot with one T, he was wearing the "HO, HO, HO" onesie that my Elliott also owns from Old Navy, and he has the same Chicco travel system that my Elliott has. Weird, but kinda cool. Maybe we'll meet up in the third floor of Macy's again sometime.


Aunt Meredith is the coolest. She calls Elliott monster. :)

Uncle Jerry is also cool. He told Elliott he was going to teach him to grill steaks and shoot things. Jerry's first question to Elliott was "Do you want to watch Uncle Jerry play video games?" The answer was actually yes...

I knew this, but maybe you don't... my sister Meredith is buff. She got a great workout by carrying Elliott in the front carrier most of the day on Sunday. A huge snowstorm was kind of a blessing as it made Elliott and I stay an extra day in the Windy City and Meredith and I ventured out without the stroller and had a lot more fun. Elliott wanted to be held, and the front carrier pretty much takes care of that. Elliott wanted to sleep, and Aunt Meredith's chest was a great place to snooze. Elliott loves lights, and Chicago in December is the place to be for lights.




A random woman was kind enough to take our photo. She was obviously not a professional.





We rode the L home. It was cool. Elliott slept.

Jerry and Meredith's dog, Gem, also loves Elliott. She was kind enough not to steal his toys and sniffed him very nicely very often.

And now, because I am very tired, here is a random mishmash of pictures with some commentary. I don't have patience for moving them into chronological order, I hope you don't mind too terribly much.

Our attempt at a cute Christmas picture. We ended up using one we casually took when my good friend Mack visited.

Big boy sitting up. The Little Pumpkin socks from Grandma Carolyn finally fit. No, it's not Halloween anymore, but I call him Pumpkin Baby and they match his adorable Osh Kosh sweatsuit.

The pink Kitchen Aid stand mixer makes holiday cookies so much easier and so much more fun!

Christmas at Grandma Wiacek's.

We love Mom/Grandma Carolyn!




Grandpa Gary thinks I'm cute. I feel like a celebrity when I'm there with all of the flashes going off all the time. :)
Merry Christmas Mommy. Your gift from the Scott's... a NAP and a chance to read Oprah magazine. Delicious!

My Christmas outfit makes me hot, Mom.

Meeting Aunt Jo. She bought me my first pair of Levi's and was a very comfortable place to snooze.




Smiling at Gram (previously known as Grandma Joy.)



Some of my very favorite people in the entire world. Melanie, Grandma Natali, Mom and Elliott Milton.


I'm Wanted for Cuteness. Thanks Aunt Jo, great shirt.

Just a small sampling of Elliott's post-Christmas wardrobe! Thank goodness for big closets and Rubbermaid storage bins!



Mommy, have you tried this new treat called "HAND?" It's delicious!

Playing is so much fun! And I'm a big boy holding my head up!

When's lunch? I'm thinking of adding another chin....




Mooooom, this camera angle makes me look fat.


I've got my giraffe and I'm not letting go until he is good and drooled on.

All of the cool kids drool now. The "Your Baby's First Year" book says so.

Mommy thought it was time to play. Elliott agreed with his daddy that it was time to watch MSU basketball. It was downright WEIRD... he would not take his eyes off the television and kept "talking" to the TV like his daddy does. Nature? Nurture? Or just downright CREEPY?

I love you too, Baby Bub.

6 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Boy, you sure know how to update! Love love love that kid's cheeky mug. My favorite is the hands-clasped, it's-too-good-to-be-true pose. Like life is so good he can barely stand it!

Unknown said...

So cute - what else can you say?

Anonymous said...

I really hope you consider entering him in some sort of cute baby contest. He would win. Anne

CorgiLand said...

AWWWWW!!!!! When can i steal him???

geekmp3 said...

Natalie, Love this post. It's my favorite so far.

Elliott, this is awesome of you! You're growing so fast! I really hope you find someday the value in what your mother has done for you with this blog. Just amazing... :)

- Uncle Nate